Frozen Black Grapes Are sold as destemmed grapes. Yields are estimates and vary depending on the vintage, varietal and the winemaker’s pressing and racking style.
- Pails contain 5 gallons of grapes, yielding approximately 2.5 – 3.5 gallons of finished wine.
- Drums contain 425 pounds of grapes, yielding approximately 30 gallons of finished wine.
- Delivery –
- Grapes can be shipped via FedEx or commercial carrier or picked up at the freezer.
- FedEx is not available out of Portland, Oregon.
- If shipping, select the closest location to your destination to reduce shipping cost.
Fresh Black Grapes are sold by the pound as whole bunches with stems at harvest. Fresh Grapes cannot be shipped.
- The minimum order for fresh grapes is 100 pounds. Special pricing is available for bulk orders over 2,000 pounds.
- Fresh grapes are sold net, without containers and must be picked up at the processing site at harvest.
- California grapes are processed in Petaluma, CA.
- Oregon and Washington grapes are processed in Underwood WA, (1 hr. east of Portland, OR).
- Destemming – Please request when you place your order. The destemming cost is 10 cents per pound. Stem weight is calculated at 6%. For example, 100 pounds of fresh grapes will yield 94 pounds of destemmed grapes.
Pre-ordered fresh and frozen grapes for the 2018 harvest will launch in May. We will have additional offerings not included in our current inventory. Sign up for our email list for more information.
These grapes provide for a deep, rich Sangiovese when blended with up to 50% Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or even Syrah a deeper wine will result. Peter would try 15% Malbec.
The 2017 Vintage:
Juice Panel: Brix 24.6, 3.47 pH, TA 5.7 g/l, Malic Acid 2.8 g/l, YAN 199
- Use BM 4×4 yeast. Add a small portion of yeast food, 11 gr. of Tartaric acid. Ferment warm, press before 0°, and complete malolactic fermentation.
- Will blend well with Cabernet, Malbec or Petite Sirah
The vines are cooled by morning fog and the influx of afternoon marine air. Located in the Carneros AVA next to San Pablo Bay, across Arnold Drive from the Gloria Ferrer Vineyard.
Carneros Sangiovese undergoing veraison